Now that we’ve reached the end of the summer, it’s back to school and back to work for most of us. It’s easy to get caught up with homework, papers and projects all while trying to maintain a social life. Juggling all aspects of our day to day lives could sometimes make us feel suffocated. Instead of drowning in the stress of a long day, here are five ways to help you find a bit of breathing room to relax and re-energize for the days and weeks to come.
- Take a bubble bath. Bubble baths aren’t just for kids. Use this as an excuse to make a spa out of your bathroom at home. Throw in a bathbomb and some Epsom salts and call it a day. Enjoy pampering yourself and washing all the day’s stress away.
- Netflix and chill…alone (no, it’s not what you think!) Get your mind out of the gutter! One of the best ways to unwind is putting on a movie while cuddling in bed with your favorite snack and a cup of herbal tea. Watch something that won’t require too much thought. Swoon over Ryan Reynolds in The Proposal or get inspired by Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blonde.
- Take a walk alone. Take the time to reflect on all the blessings in your life and thank God for all the people and opportunities he’s put your way. We can get so caught up with our lives that we often forget who gave us this life to live anyway. You can even plug in your earbuds and listen to your favorite relaxing music. (My go-to song when I want to chill is Clair de Lune ). Write about it when you get home, it’s good for the soul.
- Go shopping. Buy yourself a new set of PJs or some new makeup. Don’t burn a hole in your pocket but get something that’ll get you excited. The act of going to the mall alone is also quiet relaxing because you don’t have to worry about catching up with people or staying in the same store for hours because your friend can’t find what she wants.
- Exercise. You might be thinking “Seriously? I don’t want to run, I’m trying to relax!” But, trust me. Nothing feels better than getting your blood pumping and your endorphins flowing. You’ll feel AND look better in no time. Exercising will also allow you to keep up with the marathon race that is your day to day life.